The Howard and Georgeanna Jones Foundation for Reproductive Medicine invites submission of applications for its Young Investigators Achievement Award in the amount of $60,000. This grant will foster the career development of a young research faculty investigator working in the field of reproductive medicine in an accredited medical school in the United States.
The applicant must have a strong career goal within the field of reproductive medicine and be dedicated to the furtherance of knowledge concerning assisted reproductive techniques and infertility. The research must be focused on new discoveries in the basic and clinical sciences, which should have current or potential impact on the understanding and treatment of infertility.
AWARD: A one-time annual award of $60,000 will be made. The award is to facilitate investigation into any aspect of reproductive medicine but preference will be given to investigations designed to improve the efficiency of in vitro fertilization.
ELIGIBIITY: Applicants must be working actively in areas related to reproductive medicine at an accredited medical school in the United States. Funds may be used for support of a new or ongoing research/clinical investigation project. If an MD, the candidate must be Board Certified in obstetrics/gynecology and a faculty member who has completed his/her training with at least three years of in-depth experience in investigative reproductive medicine. If a PhD, the candidate must be a faculty member who has completed his/her training with at least three years of postdoctoral experience in investigative reproductive medicine. A candidate will qualify for application upon completion of his/her three-year fellowship training. The candidate must be identified as a current or future leader in reproductive medicine investigation, and must spend at least 80% of his/her professional time in research.
Preference will be given to those under the age of 45 as of June 30, 2016.
APPLICATION: An application must include:
- Title page including applicant’s name, title of proposal and name of sponsoring institution.
- A letter from the applicant stating:
- Career goals and plans for achieving these goals.
- Acknowledgement of the requirement to submit a report (written for a layperson) and an expenditure report at six months and at the end of the award period.
- Acknowledgement of the requirement to list the Jones Foundation support in all presentations and publications.
- Acknowledgement to keep the Jones Foundation informed of current and future dates of presentations and/or publications.
- A 1-2 page curriculum vitae including education, training, academic appointments, and date of birth.
- A bibliography listing of peer-reviewed publications.
- A letter (no more than two pages) written by the Chair of the Department on behalf of the candidate, covering the above requirements, endorsing the applicant and the proposal, and confirming the institution’s commitment to provide time and support to the applicant. Note: A Chairman may endorse only ONE Jones Foundation Young Investigators Award application per year.
- There must be a written note from a funded mentor within the Institution stating that he or she will closely oversee the investigative efforts in question, and undertaken by the applicant, from beginning to end.
- A research proposal (no more than two pages including references) prepared by the candidate detailing the title, purpose, materials, methods and projected results. The proposal must be typed in Arial 11 pt. type with 1-inch margins. Human and/or animal use must be approved by the Institutional Review Board or its equivalent and documented prior to the submission of an application for funding.
- A line item budget and justification for the project. Indirect costs to the sponsoring institution will not be allowed.
- A summary of ALL past (5 years), present and pending research support, specifying award titles, agencies, periods of support, and total direct costs.
Deadline: Deadline for receipt of nominations is May 1, 2016. Applications must be submitted on line at: www.jonesfound.org
Inquiries (only) may also be made to: Howard and Georgeanna Jones Foundation for Reproductive Medicine, Attn: Mary Davies, 1340 N. Great Neck Road, Suite 1272-400, Virginia Beach, VA 23454. Phone: 757-961-0222 Fax: 757-961-0223 Email:firstname.lastname@example.org
Selection Process: The Medical Executive Committee of the Howard and Georgeanna Jones Foundation for Reproductive Medicine will review the proposals and provide their recommendation to the Foundation’s Board of Directors. Notification of the award will be by June 15, 2016 and funding will begin on July 1, 2016 unless otherwise requested by the applicant and approved by the Jones Foundation Board of Directors.